Assistance is provided by appointment only to fill out the forms needed to apply for citizenship (form N-400) or to renew/replace a green card (form I-90). Please call 201.392.2060 to make an appointment between the business hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Generally, to be eligible for naturalization you must:
- Be age 18 or older; and
- Be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time (usually 5 years or 3 years, depending on how you obtained status); and
- Be a person of good moral character; and
- Have a basic knowledge of U.S. government (this, too, can be excepted due to permanent physical or mental impairment); and
- Have a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States; and
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English. There are exceptions to this rule for someone who at the time of filing: - Is 55 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 15 years; or - Is 50 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 20 years; or - Has a permanent physical or mental impairment that makes the individual unable to fulfill these requirements.
Questions? Visit The North Bergen Help Desk